The CCPIA website has new features that improve its accessibility. CCPIA is committed to providing commercial property inspection education and business resources that are accessible to the broadest possible audience. The features make the website, including the online courses, accessible to all people, such as visually impaired people, and people with motor impairments, cognitive disabilities, specific health concerns, and others. We aim to adhere as strictly as possible to the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1) at the AA level.
To enable the accessibility features, website visitors should click on the accessibility icon at the bottom right of the screen on desktop and mobile devices. It will bring up a box that allows the user to change various visual aspects, pair them with screen readers, and turn on keyboard shortcuts in real time.
A list of the new web accessibility features and an explanation of what they do follows:
- Search the online dictionary: This option provides a means for users to conveniently search for words in the dictionary.
- Seizure-safe setting: This enables epileptic and seizure-prone users to browse safely by eliminating the risk of attacks resulting from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Vison-impaired setting: This enables settings to aid most visual impairments, such as degrading eyesight, tunnel vision, cataracts, glaucoma, etc.
- Cognitive disability setting: This provides various assistive features to help users with cognitive disabilities, such as autism, dyslexia, CVA, and other conditions, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD-friendly setting: This significantly reduces distractions to help people with ADHD browse, read, and focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- Blind user browser compatibility: This setting adjusts the website to be compatible with screen readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack.
- Keyboard navigation: This allows people with motor impairments to operate the website using the keyboard’s Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use the shortcuts “M” (menus), “H” (headings), “F” (forms), “B” (buttons), and “G” (graphics) to jump to specific elements.
The customizable web design and appearance items are listed below.
- Content Scaling: Increases the size of the content in increments of 10%
- Readable Font: Adjusts the font to a standard web-safe font
- Highlight Titles: Highlights all titles with a surrounding box
- Text Magnifier: When hovering over text, it magnifies the text within another container
- Adjust Font Sizing: Adjusts the font in increments of 10%
- Align Center: Center-aligns all text
- Adjust Line Height: Increases the line height of font in increments of 10%
- Align Left: Aligns all text to the left
- Adjust Letter Spacing: Increases the letter spacing in increments of 10%
- Align Right: Aligns all text to the right
- Dark Contrast: Inverts the colors on the website
- Light Contrast: Lightens the background and dark colors to white
- Monochrome: Makes everything black & white\
- High Saturation: Brightens the primary colors of the site\
- Adjust Text Colors: Adjusts body text to the desired color
- High Contrast: Lightens any light colors to white and darkens any dark colors
- Adjust Title Colors: Sets the title color to the desired color
- Low Saturation: Lowers the brightness of the primary color
- Adjust Background Colors: Sets the background color to the desired color
- Mute Sounds
- Hide Images
- Read Mode: Restructures and removes elements from the page to focus solely on text
- Reading Guide: Displays a reading bar to place underlines as you read down the page
- Useful Links: Displays a dropdown of links to navigate to
- Stop Animations: Will stop any animations being displayed on the page
- Reading Mask: Displays a highlighted area to focus on text as you read down the page
- Highlight Hover: Highlights selected content with a surrounding box
- Big Black Cursor: Increases the size of your cursor and changes it to black
- Big White Cursor: Increases the size of your cursor and changes it to white